Saturday, March 19, 2011

Going to Church?

Last Sunday I went to church, a pleasure I usually reserve for Christmas Eve only. This special occasion came about because I had wanted for some time to go to the Toxic Waste Dump. Please don't get the idea that I feel some connection between organised religion and toxic waste. Not So. I had many times invited my daughter-in-law to accompany me to the dump- Almost as many times as she had invited me to visit her Unitarian Church. At last I told her I would go to church if she would go with me to the Toxic Waste Dump  She agreed and I had to keep my half of the bargin.

We were both surpised to find it was a special service to honor those folks who had managed to survive for over eighty years.  There were perhaps twenty people who filled this catagory including several over ninety.  Each old person was presented with a  lovely long stem rose.   I liked the rose but not the concept. I think longevity is just a genetic anomaly.  Not something that requires much serious thought or effort.  What matters is how one spends their years, what they accomplish what they leave behind.   I don't believe you deserve a rose just for hanging  around.  The sermon was given by smashing 87 year old lady.  She was a great speaker.  I'm sure she accomplished plenty and has many years to give more There was a lunch which I insisted on skipping and then it was all over and my garage was free of toxic waste as well.

-Louise

3 comments:

  1. y was there so much toxic waste in your garage?

    Doesn't lifestyle and/or attitude count for anything?

    What would you like to have been given instead of a rose? A desert tortoise...they live 200 years...chocolate?!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. "My toxic waste was mostly paint cans and some batteries and garden poison things. I would love a desert tortoise but I am fresh out of deserts- all we have here is rain forest! emphasis on the rain part..." -Granny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since every-day irony just reminds us that we are awake and really here, I thought I'd point out some irony in the story above if you'll indulge me. Sorry it's so lengthy, but irony can do that to you.

    Irony #1. The Unitarian Church referred to as "her Unitarian Church" (meaning mine) is the same church that Louise's father was president of, and almost the same one where Louise led the Sunday school, and where Bill designed and oversaw the construction of the new buidling. I think Louise no longer feels attached to it!

    Irony #2. There is a hint of evangelism in the telling of the story. However, the Unitarian Church is an evangelism-averse church if ever there was one. Gives me a chuckle!

    Irony #3. Over the years of my scattered attendance at this church, Louise has said to me, "invite me, I'd like to go." So I kept that in the back of my mind, thinking, "Why don't I remember to go to church more?," or "Why don't I feel like going to church more?," and then "Why don't I remember to invite Louise when I do go?" (BTW I have learned that super sporadic attendance, even non-attendance, is a common trait among devout Unitarians.) So when I succeeded in feeling like going to church, plus (aha!) remembering to invite Louise, and (aha!) she said yes, I was happy that the occasion finally came together. Little did I expect that it would be described as doing me a favor (in exchange for another favor) or it would be a church service with a not-so-great theme for Louise!

    Result: I have told Louise that I will wait for her to ask to be taken to church, and I will give up my not-so-Unitarian fakey evangelism once and for all.

    -Julie

    ReplyDelete