Sunday, June 5, 2011

Granny Growing Up (Or maybe not)

An old friend of mine told me she was having trouble with her file cabinets. The trouble is there were too many of them. Her husband might leave her if she tried to squeeze in another file cabinet So, she is is purging her files. My file was one to go. It contained every bit of writng I had ever sent to her. 25 years of Christmas Cards! with "family letters" included. There were all those years of my life printed out on red or green paper. Did I know I was lucky.? Yes, I knew but I didn't know just how lucky until all those memories came back.

There it is all written out. The weeks, even months spent with family at Serene Lakes. Skiing, picnics, hiking, canoeing, skinny dipping, ice skating, making ice cream, jigsaws and games There was fun in the flatlands too. Tennis, folk dancing, Greek Dancing, there were the family trips: Oregon, Washington DC, Pensylvannia, the Tetons, Later Art History trips to Europe. trips to Europe, and trips to Hawaii to visit offspring. The weddings, the parent weekends. And then the grandchildren Watching them at Serene Lakes growing up in the same place just as their parents had. Mostly using the same stuff. Catching crayfish, turning the crank on the freezer, flying off the rope swing and then at last learning to drive in the parking lot. Also watching them grow and being priveledged to share in their many accomplishments.

The fun things are great memories but I have been heen there,done that. The difficult part of ageing for me is becoming irrelevant. Nobody escept the dog needs me. Nobody needs my advice. Nobody needs my help. Quite the opposite is true, I could not even finish this blog without consulting a grandchild. There is plenty to keep one busy. Volunteering, classes. friends, but nothing beats having a call at Thanksgiving to ask how to make mashed potatoes. I have a 91 year old friend who is active and busy most of the time. However, she says "we have all just lived too long. We are no longer necessary" I agree except I'm not really interested in the alternative.

I have a friend who belongs to a group that is studying how to transition to old age successfully I don't know if I am good at aging or not. I just know I can't seem to help it. I don't think that wishing to relive the good times past is quality ageing. I welcome advice. Ogden Nash says, "You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely", Jerry Garcia says "we will survive"., Pete Seeger says "My get up and go has got up and went. But in spite of it al I'm able to grin and think of the places my get up has been" Jimmy Buffett says "I'm growing older but not up" my great, great great grandmother says "Life is like a summers day it seems so quickly past, Youth is the morning bright and gay, And if it is spent in wisdoms way, We meet old age without dismay, and death is sweet at last." So as I'm not spending a lot of time skiing or on the tennis court I have lots of time to search for wisdon I only hope I'll recognize it when I find it.

-Louise

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this.
    re: part 2, excellent memories!
    re: part 3, I thought we all called you every year for the creamed miniature onion recipe!
    re: part 4, :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gift to get your file after all the years have passed! A real treasure.
    Pete Seeger's quote means something to me now, cuz it's time for me to get up and go! And the rest makes me feel guilty not visiting enough!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did a mental checklist of all the things you mentioned at serene lakes. think i got 100%

    -bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be forever grateful for the Patrick O'Brien books that you loaned me. Dang! Were they linguistically interesting, plus I never knew I would so enjoy the Napoleonic-British wars at sea! Not sure if that is a non-sequitor, but it's what came to mind. Also, we keep saying we want to learn how to make a pie crust from you, but then you keep spoiling us by making desserts, which puts us into a denial about needing to learn it.
    -Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. So did your friend give you the file after all these years? That is amazing!!

    Also you are needed. Trust me!

    ReplyDelete